Here are some guiding principles that will help you reinvent your life:
1. Practice positive affirmations everyday. You are an amazing person of resource, power and strength. Repeat that statement and make it your mantra. Life may have beaten you badly, but I’m here to say that you’ll get through it because you are amazing. How do I know? I know because God created you beautifully. You may feel a little beat up and you may not know it, but I am here to tell you that I know that you are an amazing person. How do I know? I know because I know that you have an Inner Genius within you that you may not have fully explored.
2. Upgrade your strengths, delegate your weaknesses. Our educational system has taught us to fix our weaknesses. Yet, they are not fixable as weaknesses. Would you try to fix the foundation on a house that is crumbling and not fix up the rest of the house? A better investment of your time is to focus on your strengths and leverage them. Your strengths are what make you unique. Learn to delegate your weaknesses and focus on your strengths. As you focus on your strengths, you will feel good about yourself and as you feel good about yourself, you will find more and more things to feel good about.
3. You are the most interesting person in your life. This is a time to discover yourself more fully. Get interested in yourself. Get to know yourself intimately. In fact, fall in love with yourself as you discover how amazing and wonderful you are. Know who you are and what makes you tick. Know your values: At this stage in your life, knowing yourself is the best investment of your time and energy. Learn your values and know what you stand for. And then, stand up for those values. Know what makes you tick and use that to your advantage.
4. Forgive yourself; forgive others. At midlife, if you have no one to forgive, you must be a saint! However, if you think about certain people in your life and you do not feel all warm and glowy about them, do not fret. I am not asking you to feel warm and glowy about them. Just let go of the baggage about them in your mind. Lighten up! This is a time in your life when depression and anxiety can take a hold of you and it may be difficult to shake loose. Focus on letting go of what does not serve you. You are worth it. Forgiveness, as you know, is really not about the other person. It is about you. It is about you letting go of what no longer serves you. It also has health benefits.
5. Accept the journey. Your life is not a final destination. It is a moving destination. When you get to one destination, resting on your laurels is not permitted for any significant length of time. You just have to set another destination as a goal. Accomplishment is absolutely wonderful, but the way our brain works, it always wants to work towards something. Leverage that and look for another journey. The joy is in the journey. Accept that your life is a journey and enjoy the ride!
As you accept each of these facts, you will make your journey easier. Really, reinventing your life is a process and a journey of discovery and exploration. Enjoy it!